Cloudy, warm and humid conditions greeted competitors and fans for the Super Series circus that stopped at Killarney.

Lance Isaacs (Kawasaki ZX6R) drew first blood by taking the lead from Dean Vos (Yamaha R6) by the end of the first lap and heading to victory in Race 1 of the SA Supersport championship class. The MV Augusta F3 duo of Cameron Petersen and Brent Harran chased the Capetonian to the chequered flag, while Nicholas Kershaw (Kawasaki ZX6R) beat an ailing Vos for fourth place. Brandon Haupt (Suzuki GSXR600) rode superbly to head a gaggle of six racers to the chequered flag and claim sixth position. Petersen turned the tables in Race 2, narrowly edging Isaacs in the run to the chequered flag, while Harran slid off the circuit at Cape Town corner on the penultimate lap! Kershaw claimed a fine third place ahead of Vos, while Jesse Boshoff (Kawasaki ZX6) chased Vos to the flag. Rhyno Stander (Kawasaki ZX6R) rode hard to beat local racers Haupt and Nick van der Walt (Honda CBR600) for sixth position.

Robert Wolk (Formula VW) made a welcome return to the SA Single Seaters by dominating from the front, beating Nicholas van Weely (Formula VW) by nine seconds in Race 1, with David Perel (Formula VW) snapping at his heels in third. Jason Campos (Duratec) was the first F1600 home, narrowly edging Keegan Campos (Duratec) and James Temple (Mygale). Wolk repeated the feat in Race 2, dominating from the start, while van Weely ran home second ahead of Werner Scholtz and Perel. Jason Campos dominated the F1600 race ahead of Keegan Campos and Temple.

A titanic tussle for the lead in Race 1 of the SA Superbike class saw Clint Seller (Kawasaki ZX10) slingshot Nicolas Grobler (Kawasaki ZX10) to take victory by 0.05 seconds, while Chris Leeson (BMW S1000R) chased them home in third position. Ronald "Red Baron" Slamet rode superbly from the third row of the grid to claim fourth position at the chequered flag, but a technical infringement on his machine saw the Namibian disqualified from the result. Aran van Niekerk (Kawasaki ZX10) was looking strong in fifth position before losing the front end of his machine and cartwheeling off the circuit at Engen corner. Grobler finally took his debut national victory in fine fashion in Race 2, fending off a resurgent Seller, who ran wide at the exit of Houl’s Hoek at the start, while van Niekerk traded paint with Ryan Ottens (BMW S1000R) to claim the final podium position, much to the delight of local fans. Slamet recovered from the back of the grid to pip Trevor "Killer" Westman (BMW S1000R) to seventh place at the chequered flag, Westman having retired from Race 1 with mechanical maladies.

The Sports & GT Class saw Ben Morgenrood (Ford Mustang) lead from start to finish ahead of Larry Wilford (Chevrolet Corvette), Terry Wilford (Ford Mustang) and Darryn Lobb (Shelby Can Am). Franco di Matteo (Jaguar XKR) finished a lonely fifth. Race 2 was red-flagged on the first lap after Jody van Zummeren (Chevrolet Corvette), Doug McDonald (Shelby Can Am) and Alister Brown (Shelby Can Am) all ran off at Engen corner and Romano Sartori (Ford Mustang) ran off at Malmesbury corner. More drama ensued at the restart when Di Matteo lost his rear wing at the breaking point of Cape Town corner, leaving Terry Wilford to take the lead and run to victory. Morgenrood and Larry Wilford came together at the exit of Cape Town corner on the penultimate lap; Wilford tapping the veteran into a spin, with Morgenrood fighting back to gain track supremacy and resulting in the Mustang’s orange bodywork being strewn over the circuit! This left Lobb to finish second ahead of Larry Wilford, Morgenrood, Darron Gudmanz (Chevrolet Corvette), Brian Algar (Shelby Can Am), Ferdi van Niekerk (Shelby Can Am) and Alan Eve (Shelby Can Am) – all of whom ran in close contention in the final dash to the chequered flag.

Kosie Weyers took an emphatic victory over archrival Shaun le Reservee in Race 1 of the Engen VW Cup, beating him by 0.095 seconds, while Tasmyn Pepper took a fine third ahead of Jeffery Kruger and Trevor Bland. Jano van der Westhuizen drove brilliantly to claim seventh place. Weyers made Capetonian hearts sing by blasting into a lead he would not relinquish in Race 2, with Matthew Hodges finishing as runner up ahead of Bland, Mark Silverwood and le Reservee. Weyers celebrated his double in style by jumping from his car and spraying his supporters with champagne on the cooling down lap.

Johan Fourie (BMW 335i) dominated Race 1 of the Bridgestone Production Cars, leaving team mate Etienne van der Linde to fend off the Audi S4’s of Melvill Priest and Gennaro Bonafede. Michael van Rooyen (Chevrolet Cruze) had to work hard to fend off Graham Nathan (VW Golf GTi) to take Class T honours after Gary Formato (Ford Fiesta ST) slowed due to mechanical maladies. Hennie Groenewald (Subaru WRX Sti) led a snapping field of Tschops Sipuka (Audi S4), Bonafede, Priest, Fourie and van der Linde to the chequered flag in Race 2, while Formato won Class T comfortably ahead of Nathan and Gavin Cronje (Mini Cooper S). Formato’s Feature Race ended early when van Rooyen removed his left rear suspension at the start, putting both chargers out of contention. Bonafede led Michael Stephen (Audi S4), Sipuka, van der Linde, Groenewald and Priest to victory in Class A, while Cronje charged to Class T victory ahead of Jacques Joubert (VW Golf GTi) in what was a marathon 14-lap race.

The third round of the Super Series takes place at Aldo Scribante, Port Elizabeth, on 6 April 2013. The motorcycle classes look to be bolstered with a number of Capetonian riders expressing an interest to compete, as the next W.P.M.C. regional day (held on the same day as the Super Series) will not run their premier motorcycle class.

Nick van der Meulen